Why symbolism?

Archives for 2007
Want2C

Why symbolism?

Post by Want2C »

Why does God use symbolism in dreams? And why don't we get the interpretation soon after having a dream.

It's so difficult when you know that God is speaking in a dream, and even after praying & waiting on God you still don't get the interpretation. I know one should write down the dream which I do most times, but when do you receive the interpretion? Is there a specific formula of sorts when it comes to dreams?

This week I've been having so many vivid dreams & I know that they are from the Lord. But I get so frustrated not knowing what they mean. I believe sometimes when you dismiss a dream you dismiss the voice of God. I don't want to do that.

If you have a Spirit led answer please share.

Thank you
WaitingforHim
Diamond Member

Post by WaitingforHim »

Thought this might be helpful to you to start you off..
http://tehillahdreams.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=34
Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
ArisenShine
Diamond Member

Post by ArisenShine »

The situation reminds me of an ant story I heard once so I found a link w/it. Oops..the link didn't work here. (If you do a search w/the words "John R. Claypool, ant story"...google brings it up.

Anyway, when I read your question, I pictured a little ant (like us)with a huge human being (like God)standing over it. How could the human (should they desire to)ever possibly be able to communicate with the small creature?

To me, God's person AND language is as hard for us to comprehend. Of course Jesus already came down on our level, and sent the Holy Spirit to 'guide us into all truth'.

The word says that God speaks in MANY ways, sometimes dreams.

It takes time to learn a new language. Lots of time. Just when we think we've got God's language down (down to a science? :roll: ), some new things may be introduced.

I can relate to what your saying, very much so at times.
But after all is said and done, I still love to search out His meanings, try to understand, solve enigmas, seek Him for the buried treasure. I sometimes feel He's enjoying watching me search.

Bless you,
Lee
Lee/ArisenShine
Consider the lilies....
talitha

Post by talitha »

"Why does God use symbolism in dreams?"
And the disciples came and said to Him, "Why do You speak to them in parables?" Jesus answered them, "To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted. For whoever has, to him more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has shall be taken away from him. Therefore I speak to them in parables; because while seeing they do not see, and while hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. (from Matthew 13)
And He said, "To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is in parables, so that seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand. (from Mark 4)
In our spirits we are the disciples of Jesus, but our minds are not completely sanctified while we are on earth. The Lord speaks to us in parables (symbolic stories) to hide the message from our minds so that we will have to seek Him out, and when we seek Him, we find Him!

And why don't we get the interpretation soon after having a dream.
I don't know! I think the answer to that question is probably different for different dreams. There are many times that we don't really know the true interpretation until the revelation comes to pass, and the dream is like a fulfilled prophecy, confirming a decision or letting us know we're headed in the right direction, or even preparing us for something difficult.....

Is there a specific formula of sorts when it comes to dreams?
I think God is averse to formulas altogether. He wants us dependent upon Him, and formulas tend to make us think we can lean on our own understanding.

I believe sometimes when you dismiss a dream you dismiss the voice of God. I don't want to do that.
Me neither! Ira Milligan says that to not pay attention to our dreams is like ignoring mail from Heaven. Yikes. It just takes time and attention, and sometimes we don't feel like we can give it..... we have to make sure to prioritize the voice of God in our lives.

blessings on you
tal
Want2C

Thank you

Post by Want2C »

Thank you for your replies!

Receiving an interpretation takes trusting in the One who spoke to you in the first place! :D

Trusting that the Lord will in deed reveal the answer in His time..

Thank you for reaffirming to me the truth that I already knew.
bjcollin
Site Owner

Post by bjcollin »

To make you seek Him more.

in Christ,
Joy2dream

Post by Joy2dream »

I love your name Want2C! So many say I will see if the Lord wills, it is His will that you see and for your to know Him so deeply.
I personally have asked Him, why don't you just tell me. I see it as a game of love, if you will. He desires fellowship and want us to seek Him for the answer. I think Jesus likes the chase :mrgreen:
Me too!

I pray His Glory falls all over you and He grants your very desire.
Joy

Proverbs 25:1-3 (King James Version)

1These are also proverbs of Solomon, which the men of Hezekiah king of Judah copied out.

2It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

3The heaven for height, and the earth for depth, and the heart of kings is unsearchable.