11 White Socks on My Left Foot

Archives for 2008
Hephzibah

11 White Socks on My Left Foot

Post by Hephzibah »

I just found this site yesterday. Perusing the dreams , I wasn't surprised to see alot of themes and elements that were familiar. However, I was really amazed by "New Creation's" posting on Nov. 21 of a dream about taking off 11 pairs of white socks in a bathroom. I had a virtually identical dream a few weeks ago.
I was in my bathroom about to take a shower. When I started taking off my socks, I realized I had put on more than one pair.
I laughed at myself thinking I must have gotten up in the middle of the night and put on a pair not realizing I already had some on. As I pulled them off I discovered another , then another ,... I pulled eleven socks from my left foot. They were all white.
I know 11 is supposed to represent incompletion or judgement. White usually symbolizes righteousness, purity, Holy Spirit, etc.
Feet may represent where I'm going. What about the left foot? I didn't count the ones on my right foot. What does taking the socks OFF - not putting them on mean? I've been praying about this but haven't gotten an answer. Comments after New Creation's posting did not bear witness with my spirit. Anybody ? Thanks!
Charys
Diamond Member

Post by Charys »

I asked the Lord what this dream means. Since it has now shown up on this board twice I think he wants us to take note of it.

As I prayed I heard the phrase "Do this in remembrance of Me." I wondered how that fit in. Then I thought about the last supper when Jesus said this. There were twelve disciples present, but the scripture makes note of the fact that Jesus already knew that Judas had chosen to leave. That made eleven disciples. I think this is the significance of the number eleven this time.

So why are you taking the socks off? When Jesus started to wash their feet Peter protested -because his feet were filthy dirty. Even in some third world countries today where animals roam the streets and public toilets are few and far between feet pick up really gross smelly stuff all the time. (I've been told that even in Paris it's almost impossible not to step in fresh dog doo on an ordinary walk around the block --and I read somewhere that in the horse and buggy era in Chicago street cleaners removed enough manure from the streets every year to fill twelve square blocks with mountains of it.) It was embarassing for proud Peter to present his stinking feet to someone he was trying to impress. ("I will never deny you!") Yet... he submitted and one by one the disciples presented their disgusting feet to the Master and allowed him to clean them.

One by one you removed eleven socks to expose a bare foot.

Jesus said, "Do you know what I have done to you?" (John 13) He said, "If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet, for I gave you an example..."

I have always interpreted this to mean that a follower of Christ needs to be willing to serve others humbly, but something came up yesterday in conversation that relates to this passage. It has to do with being proud of being humble!

A dear friend, who has been an outstanding example of service in the community for many years, recently experienced sudden tragedy. She has been deeply depressed to the point of barely functioning. This is so different from the person everyone has always turned to for help. Then she said something that clicked with me. She said "I have always seen myself as someone who helps others -not as someone who needs help. I hate being in this position!"

Jesus told us to wash each other's feet, not to go out and wash the feet of "the needy" out there. When he washed the disciples feet he was pointing out their own neediness. When we wash each other's feet we also have to allow others to minister to us. Only people who need help can properly help others. Only people who understand what it is like to be ministered to can maintain the proper attitude to minister to others.

I think the Lord is reminding us with this dream that we are called to serve others, but we are also called to be open about our own weaknesses and neediness with each other.

Cool dream.

If this doesn't fit, please keep seeking.
...that I might know Him...
Charys
Diamond Member

Post by Charys »

oops. double post. lack of faith in my computer!
Hephzibah

Post by Hephzibah »

Charys,

Well...I'm feeling rather convicted right now. But that's a good thing. :D Right?

Your response did resonate with me. I've been praying for God to use me to minister in a more personal, one-to-one way with people. But my nature is rather solitary and I've felt too socially deficient and inept to be effective.

Because I have struggled with shame and inferiority, I mistakenly thought I possessed enough- maybe too much - humility. But being humble and not liking yourself are not the same thing. You can hate yourself and still be too full of pride for God to use you for much.

Pride has been a major stumblingblock in my life. I find it nearly impossible to ask for help with anything. ( I wouldn't even allow a neighbor to help me carry a heavy computer up two flights of stairs recently. How foolish is that?).

As many times as I've read that passage of scripture about the foot washing, I had never seen myself in Peter's refusal until now.
Maybe God is answering my prayers to be used in a greater way by showing me why He hasn't been able to yet.

I have to be willing to let others help me before I can be a help to others.

Hmmm...you've definitely given me some light tonight , Charys and I am grateful.

God Bless You
Charys
Diamond Member

Post by Charys »

Oh Hephzibah, that was a sermon to myself. I have also found it difficult to be the one who needed help. It wasn't until it became a life and death situation that I could admit how bad things were -and the Lord sent people who could help me because they had suffered the same things I had -and had been helped themselves.

I also struggle to understand pride vs. humility. A person I love thought confidence was the same thing as pride, and as I grew up took great effort to find fault with everything I did, or they did themselves, in the war against pride, yet this year at Christmas was angry with me for giving them a nice gift because they could not afford to reciprocate -and that hurt their pride. I probably need to learn more sensitivity, but it made me examine my own definition of being humble, since I am apt to carry heavy loads all by myself too.

I know we are not the only ones. A pastor's wife from another church once told me she and her husband felt so isolated because they had to be strong for everyone else. She said people in the congregation didn't want candour from her husband; they reacted very negatively when he was honest about his weakness. They wanted someone who had it all together whom they could look up to, so that's what the couple tried to show. Is it any wonder he had a major moral fall a few years later? I think they failed him before he failed them.

Thank you for sharing your dream. The Lord has taught me through it. May the Lord bless you as you seek to serve him with a pure heart.

Oh, I forgot to mention why I think they were white socks. Although white can mean purity it often represents religiosity to me. White as in white-wash -a cover-up of something not so pure underneath as when Jesus accused the religious leaders of his day of being-white-washed sepulchres that disquised putrefaction. The good news is He cleans us up when we admit (expose) the mess we're in and ask for His help. I'm not sure about why it was the left foot. Perhaps someone else has insight into this.
Hephzibah

Post by Hephzibah »

Charys,

Thanks for the followup. Your comment on white symbolizing religiosity struck a chord and reminded me of this dream.

I was in a grocery store in the produce section around lots of leafy green vegetables but I and several other women were lined up for the last few loaves of bread.
I hoggishly grabbed two medium sized loaves, but then thought the women with families needed them more than me so I gave a loaf to a woman who did not seem grateful. That puzzled and perturbed me.
I took two small loaves. When I got home I opened the freezer and to my chagrin, discovered an enormous round loaf already in there.
Then I woke up.

At first, I thought the part about me giving the bread to that woman was confirmation that I should give to a ministry that distributes bibles (the bread).
But then God showed me the important part was that the bread I had was kept in the freezer-not in use.
I think that's why the woman did not receive the Word (the bread) I ministered to her with joy. Because I had not prepared my feet with the gospel of peace by letting the Word minister to me first.

As for the left foot in the sock dream, I think John Paul Jackson said left hand or arm means your gifting. So maybe left foot means gifting for ministry (steps of a good man ordered by the Lord-feet shod with preparation of the gospel of peace- good works ordained before the foundation of the world that we might walk in them...)

So I think the two dreams kind of dovetail. I need to humble myself and let God and other people minister to me so I will be qualified to minister to others.

Once again, Charys, I appreciate your wisdom. You've been extremely helpful.

Have a Blessed New Year!!! :D