Recurring dream

Archives for 2007
blove

Recurring dream

Post by blove »

Hello everyone, I'm new here, but I saw this forum and decided it was exactly what I have been searching for.

I actually have three dreams I would like to post, so I will post them in three seperate topics. I hope that is the acceptable way of posting, but if it is not, please let me apologize in advance. I know this is kind of long, but I really could use some guidance, so please excuse the length.

First, I have had this recurring dream since I was a child. The specifics change, but the basic theme is the same.

I always begin by being chased by someone/something. Sometimes I can see it and it takes the face of someone I know or sometimes I do not know the person. Other times, it's just a feeling of someone/something chasing me. Often times I am in an "in-between" place - as in I am below the roof of a building but above the actual living space/rooms. I guess you could say in an attic, but many times it's like a previously lived-in space that has poor/no lighting, discarded toys/debris, and dust/cobwebs.

In the dreams, I know there are light places where there are people, and I think I can run to these places. But, I also think if I do that I will be putting the people in jeopardy by bringing whatever is chasing me to them. So, I choose not to go to them. I run and run and keep trying to get out of this place...I will pass doors and/or entrances to other rooms, and always I will hear someone and I think they need help. I consider running to stay ahead of whatever is chasing me, but instead I turn into the entryway or go through the door to help whoever is there. The person in need of help varies and can be someone I know or a stranger. But, they always need help or I feel like I need to teach them to protect themselves/hide from the "evil" that is coming.

Once I help one person, I resume running away, but I will hear someone else in need. Always I consider going ahead, but I feel compelled to stop and help the person, even though I know that brings the thing chasing me closer to me.

Usually, when I wake from these dreams, it will be just as the "evil" comes to the door, but before it "gets" me. I pray in my dreams.

That's the basics. Sometimes I am running in a field and there will be obstacles that pop up - a fence that I have to climb or a lake I have to wade through. I get past the obstacle fine, but then I look over my shoulder and see someone else who is struggling over. I want to continue because I know I can get away on my own, but this part of me cannot go on knowing I am leaving someone in need behind. So, I always turn back...like in the other dream when I'm inside.

A couple of points: when I am in a field, there are sometimes sporadic trees and I think I can find shelter in a tree...even when I am in the attic-like places, there will be fake trees that are skinny and worn, but I still think the tree can hide me. It's like the tree is a place to rest. But, most times I do not hide in the tree because I keep thinking there are others who need me. If I am in the field and I see a lighted house, I will bypass the lit house for a dark one because I don't want to bring the danger to anyone else....even though a lighted else would give me company and possibly help.

Anyway, that's it. This dream, with all its variations, has continued through my whole life. If anyone has any suggestions or can offer guidance, I really appreciate it.

Have a blessed day!
blove

Post by blove »

Anyone got any ideas? I could really use some guidance understanding this dream. The fact that I've had the dream since childhood, with slight variations, makes me think it is significant.

I just don't know what the significance is. I have a very good relationship with God, I think, but I haven't studied the Bible enough to know what to look for. When I "talk" to God, I do just that: talk...the same way I would a friend.

Sometimes I receive a message that I need to look up a person or event in the Bible...sometimes it's a particular chapter I'm sent to. But, other than that, I'm still learning my way around the Bible and using the Bible to interpret dreams is completely new to me. So, yeah, I could really use some help! LOL!

Thanks in advance!
talitha

Post by talitha »

hi there - I will put my thoughts in blue here......

First, I have had this recurring dream since I was a child. The specifics change, but the basic theme is the same. I think recurring dreams especially childhood ones often have to do with the journey-to-come in your life...... and the fact that you are still having it IMHO means that there is something that needs to be resolved.

I always begin by being chased by someone/something. Sometimes I can see it and it takes the face of someone I know or sometimes I do not know the person. Other times, it's just a feeling of someone/something chasing me. It sounds like you're afraid of this someone/something, so I don't think it's the Lord pursuing you - I'm reminded of the scripture about the adversary being like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour, and of something I heard once - that not only does the Lord have a wonderful plan for each of our lives, the enemy also has a plan - an evil one to use us for his own means..... Often times I am in an "in-between" place - as in I am below the roof of a building but above the actual living space/rooms. This reminds me of the "valley of decision" (Joel 3:14) - did you spend a long time there, not quite committed to the Lord and/or His Body? I guess you could say in an attic, but many times it's like a previously lived-in space that has poor/no lighting, discarded toys/debris, and dust/cobwebs. Your descriptions here seem to me to be indicative of the state of the minds of "pre-Christians" or people who are trying to live in a grey area......

In the dreams, I know there are light places where there are people, and I think I can run to these places. I feel certain that these places represent Christian fellowship - if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. (1 John 1:7) - that's the truth! :mr green: But, I also think if I do that I will be putting the people in jeopardy by bringing whatever is chasing me to them. Sounds like a lie from the enemy designed to keep you isolated, confused, and vulnerable to his schemes. Badd debble!! :x So, I choose not to go to them. I run and run and keep trying to get out of this place.... Sounds like the enemy's scheme worked. He wants to keep you trying by your own efforts and not depending upon the provision of the Lord. I will pass doors and/or entrances to other rooms, and always I will hear someone and I think they need help. I consider running to stay ahead of whatever is chasing me, but instead I turn into the entryway or go through the door to help whoever is there. The person in need of help varies and can be someone I know or a stranger. But, they always need help or I feel like I need to teach them to protect themselves/hide from the "evil" that is coming. This could be a clue to your calling - but as long as you yourself are not coming from a place of rest in the Lord, you really can't help these others, other than to warn them that something evil is pursuing...... Once you have come into light and fellowship and rest, you will be a greater help to others.

Once I help one person, I resume running away, but I will hear someone else in need. Always I consider going ahead, but I feel compelled to stop and help the person, even though I know that brings the thing chasing me closer to me. Another thought here - perhaps there is some degree of safety in your helping others - because in a way that is fellowship..... I'm not sure about that though.....

Usually, when I wake from these dreams, it will be just as the "evil" comes to the door, but before it "gets" me. I pray in my dreams. This reminds me of this scripture: If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it. (Genesis 4:7) Hmmm.....

That's the basics. Sometimes I am running in a field and there will be obstacles that pop up - a fence that I have to climb or a lake I have to wade through. I get past the obstacle fine, but then I look over my shoulder and see someone else who is struggling over. I want to continue because I know I can get away on my own, but this part of me cannot go on knowing I am leaving someone in need behind. So, I always turn back...like in the other dream when I'm inside. Seems to me to show that your motivational gift could be mercy..... from my teaching on gifts and graces: Finally, there is the mercy-motivated person..... He always forgives, no matter what, seventy times seven, so to speak, and he always sees the good in people, no matter how in-the-flesh they are (or worse). Such a good example of the love of Christ.... The grace for mercy-motivated people is cheerfulness. They must, must, must guard their hearts, or they will be taken down into other people's pits..... he must rest, or he will burn out. Does that sound like you?

A couple of points: when I am in a field, there are sometimes sporadic trees and I think I can find shelter in a tree... Trees can symbolize people - I think this might mean that you are depending too heavily on individual people, placing God-level expectations on them - I used to do that, and but for the grace of God....... even when I am in the attic-like places, there will be fake trees that are skinny and worn, but I still think the tree can hide me. skinny and worn - wow, I think that's a vivid picture the inadequacy of people to give you what you need apart from God. It's like the tree is a place to rest. But, most times I do not hide in the tree because I keep thinking there are others who need me. If I am in the field and I see a lighted house, I will bypass the lit house for a dark one because I don't want to bring the danger to anyone else....even though a lighted else would give me company and possibly help. So in the dream you are trying to be others-minded - but this becomes sort of a downfall for you, right? Does that sound like you IRL?

I hope my thoughts here have been of some help......

blessings
tal
blove

Post by blove »

talitha: thank you so much! I think you have given me quite a bit of insight. I believe my gift is mercy, but I think I'm still a long way from being completely walking in the light, as I should be.

You asked me if this sounds like me: "They must, must, must guard their hearts, or they will be taken down into other people's pits..... he must rest, or he will burn out." Yes, I think so. I have talked with someone else and told her that sometimes I feel like I will burn out for the empathy and compassion I feel for others. Their emotions push at me and make me empathize with them, and sometimes I feel if it doesn't stop, it will ruin me.

Thank you so much for your insight. You've given me many Biblical references and I now know where to start. Thank you, thank you! I feel much lifted and I can read the truth in much of what you say. Thank you!