Umiak = College??

Archives for 2013
TexasTransplant
Diamond Member

Umiak = College??

Post by TexasTransplant »

Weird dream that may possibly just be pregnancy induced. It's the first one I've remembered in several months, though, and I feel compelled to try to pick it apart a bit. It's about our oldest son who is trying to make a college decision right now and I feel like the boat (and Umiak, I think it's called) represents school for some reason. He is scheduled to graduate high school the same week we are due to have twins, so this whole ordeal is pressing on my mind. Lots of change at once. Freaking out, honestly. I appreciate any and all thoughts!!

Dreamed I was on a shore with our oldest son, Trent, comparing two eskimo-type single-man style boats. They were both wooden, hand carved maybe and the only difference was that one had an animal skin cover that threaded onto the top for water protection and the other had a wooden cover that served the same purpose. He couldn't decide which to buy from this Eskimo man and I think he tried them both out. He settled on the one with the wooden cover. This cover slid into place rather than being threaded on like the skin cover. And I think there were air holes drilled in so he could breathe while sleeping inside.

Next I was in the boat with him, trying it out. We were at sea, going over dark water. The environment was very unlike Texas--colder waters, made me think of Canada's or Alaska's environments. Though we were at sea, we stayed pretty close to the sandy shore, it was always in sight. Trent was lying in the bottom on a pillow. I noticed a bunch of unmatched socks scattered in the front cubby hole and thought, "Typical boy." Then I saw two rows of white cushioned seats along both sides of the boat, sat on one and noticed just how wide this little boat really was. I thought it seemed more like a real motor boat with these seats and all the room.

We went over a wave then some white, bubbly, stirred-up water and then I got a little afraid we were going to run ashore too fast. We started to approach a bunch of people that felt familiar to me on the shore and at the last minute we avoided them and ran up on shore super smoothly. Trent was never worried like I was. I hopped out on the beach and met a bunch of really nice girls, around 13 years old, and shopped for sweaters with them. I felt like we were at The Gap store (??). The girls were very nice. Next my dad was inspecting Trent's boat and made a phone call to have some styrofoam put into the front of it so it'd be easier to steer. I didn't think this made sense. I thought about ropes instead but that didn't make sense either.

Trent, very easily, wiggled the boat back into the water with ease.
You didn't choose me, I chose you.-John 15:16
bella
Diamond Member

Post by bella »

Has Trent applied to colleges up north? These boats are really only used in Alaska as part of the US aren't they? He wouldn't be doing college in Canada?

So wondering if it represents northern universities. Or could be symbolic of snow or north.

The other thought I had was how cold can represent aloneness. Are you worried about him being out in the big world alone or "out in the cold"?

Overall this could be a fear dream where you're worried he's going to be alone (one man boat) and out in the cold, and you're worried he won't make it to shore safely, but it turns out to be ok.

The Gap stood out to me - standing in the gap and pray for him.

The fact that you were with 13 year old girls shopping for sweaters - felt warm and sunny. What does shopping at The Gap look like? And what does 13 represent? Could it be the first year of adult-hood (i.e. bat/bar mitzvah being at age 12, so 13 is the first year of jewish adulthood).
TexasTransplant
Diamond Member

Post by TexasTransplant »

Good stuff there!
So wondering if it represents northern universities. Or could be symbolic of snow or north.
I believe that's it. I know 'Canada' in my dreams is always a positive, spiritual thing. It usually translates in my dreams as 'His way'. Trent's not looking at ANY schools outside of Texas. He's leaning toward attending a community college (Blinn) nearby the larger school (Tex A&M) he really wants to attend eventually. So getting his basics done at Blinn first. His test scores are keeping him from getting into the highly competitive A&M at first. Both places are only 1.5 hrs from here so that makes us happy. But I want to be sure!! This could've been the answer. I think it's saying,"He's covered." I need to let go and trust where Trent's concerned. It's harder for some reason.

The Gap...I liked what you said! Not sure about the young girls. They seemed to be Seth's age (other son). That was a fun, feel good scene.

What's really super thought provoking is how I had a dream a few years ago about Trent going to college. First one I ever posted here, I think. In it I believe was a warning about letting him attend a nearby college here called Stephen F. Austin. It's a good school, easy to get in to and very close by, but STRANGELY, has not even come up in conversations with Trent. We've been visiting and applying to dozens in Tex and he's never even brought that one up. And they have a fishing team which screams 'Trent'! God, for whatever reasons, has removed it from the radar. Without that dream, I'd have been a big advocate for him going there :/.
http://tehillahdreams.com/board/viewtop ... oo+college
You didn't choose me, I chose you.-John 15:16