help if you speak Spanish plz!

Archives for 2008
keilani
Site Moderator

help if you speak Spanish plz!

Post by keilani »

I had this dream but what stuck with me as I woke up was this:

I was talking to a man as if he were an old friend. He had just bathed and was telling me sadly "it (he was in an ungodly relationship) has come to an end."

What struck me was in my dream he was wearing a shirt that had a sketched picture of Jesus with the crown of thorns and I saw next to that picture the words:

No rico es

Does that mean anything? I don't speak Spanish although on my birth island, the native tongue does have spanish influence (it's a language of which I know very little about since I am originally from a different island).

Would appreciate any help! Mahalo and be blessed in abundance today!!! :D
***More To Come***

Eph 3:8...proclaim to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ 9
and...enlighten everyone about God’s secret plan—a secret that has been hidden for ages in God who has created all things.
charlie
Diamond Member

Re: help if you speak Spanish plz!

Post by charlie »

keilani wrote:No rico es
Normally it would be written "no es rico" which means "he is not rich/wealthy"

charlie
Charlie
Jesus said: I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:3
talitha

Post by talitha »

Right - and the picure and those words together reminded me of this from Isaiah 53:

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by men,
a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.

When we put on a teeshirt with a saying, often it says something we want to say to the world. This man, it seems, was taking comfort in the fact that Jesus too underwent broken relationships and understood sorrow. After the man cleansed himself (sort of washed his hands of the relationship), this is what he put on.

The question is, why did you dream this? Maybe it's a word for someone?

blessings
tal
bjcollin
Site Owner

Post by bjcollin »

Direct Spanish to English translation would be: Is not rich.
NOTW
Diamond Member

Post by NOTW »

This is the only verse that I found that exactly matched that phrase...

Luk 12:21 So [is] he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.
Love in Christ,
NOTW (Not of this World)

2 Chronicles 29:11 - "My sons, do not be negligent now, for the Lord has chosen you to stand before him and serve him, to minister before him and to burn incense.”
NOTW
Diamond Member

Post by NOTW »

What strikes me that he was unhappy with leaving the sin behind.
Like when Paul was teaching of God's grace and they said yea! That means I can sin all I want and his grace will cover them and Paul says...
(paraphrasing above)

Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Love in Christ,
NOTW (Not of this World)

2 Chronicles 29:11 - "My sons, do not be negligent now, for the Lord has chosen you to stand before him and serve him, to minister before him and to burn incense.”
keilani
Site Moderator

Post by keilani »

charlie, tal, bj, and crystal--MAHALO!!! big ups & big hugs to all of you :D

I've been wanting to get on here to respond but was caught up in many things!

Tal--thanks for that scripture! I do believe that is what the words indicated!

Charlie and bj--awesome! I know very little about the spanish lang--just didn't want to assume that i could look it up and it would mean that. In our lang, direct translations aren't always accurate since meaning is lost or not conveyed correctly! Mahalo!

Crys--mahalo my sister for listing those scripture and your thoughts for me!

I've been pondering the dream all day and have some ideas, but still have not been able to sit down and let Him speak to me about it.

Once again, you all have blessed me beyond words! Thank you family and May He pour out His goodness all over each of you today!
***More To Come***

and...enlighten everyone about God’s secret plan—a secret that has been hidden for ages in God who has created all things.
songmiracle
Silver Member

Post by songmiracle »

I think it's Ladino (Spanish-Judeo language).
keilani
Site Moderator

Post by keilani »

Songmiracle--how did you know that? That's amazing! I wonder if they would've said it in that way (no rico es) as opposed to no es rico like in the "normal" spanish language!

I did google it and found something really interesting...

Ladino--

As a Jewish language, it is influenced heavily by Hebrew and Aramaic, but also Arabic, Turkish and to a lesser extent Greek and other languages where Sephardic expellees settled around the world, primarily throughout the Ottoman Empire.

Currently, speakers are almost exclusively Sephardic Jews, principally those in or from Thessaloniki (modern Greece), Istanbul and Izmir (modern Turkey), all localities where centuries ago the Sephardim re-settled into.

Also found this when I googled Thessalonica and Thessaloniki:

It is the same word Salonica or Thessaloniki or Thessalonica. You choose!

When I was there in '69, the locals called it Saloniki, though it was Thessalonica on our English map.

Thessaloniki is the name of Alexander's the Great sister and the city was called in her favor. Over the years many cultures lived in the area like the Hebrews from Spain and the Slavs. Remember that Thessaloniki was occupied for almost 500 years by the Turks. The names used during the period are Solun, Salonica, Saloniki. After the city's libetration in 1912 the official name was brought in use and the majority refers to that. Some locals still call Saloniki their city.

After this dream, I got up to do my am prayers and went back to sleep. When I got up from that nap, the scripture I Thessalonians 5:29 (which was my way of remembering 2-9) was going over and over in my head until I woke up and read it!

Awesome....now I have to sit and take that all in!

Be blessed and thank you so much for that!
***More To Come***