Comedy Act and the Baby gets Eaten

Archives for 2009
RebMel
Bronze Member

Comedy Act and the Baby gets Eaten

Post by RebMel »

In this dream I am at a dinner theater, one where the performers are out in amongst the audience. The audience are at dinner tables eating their dinner and watching the performance.

All of the performers were known to me, but they are not people I am 'close' to other than my mother (she was one of the performers also). The other two performers are a married couple who are close friends of hers and of the same generation (in their sixties, she is in her seventies). None of them are what you would consider particularly spiritual, although they are regular church attendees (in a very instutional way).

The husband performs first, getting up out of his dinner seat (it was as though he were just another audience member but then he decides to perform) and begins dancing. IRL he is very staid, but now he dances extravagantly and I and the rest of the audience begin to laugh very hard. I can imagine him in a top hat and a long tails tuxedo, and he is dancing like Fred Astair or Gene Kelley, but kind of goofy.

Then my mother appears, but she looks exactly like Lucy Ricardo (Lucille Ball, but when she was playing Ricky's wife on I Love Lucy). But I know that it is my mother. She is sitting on a bench in the midst of the audience. The wife of the couple appears, and they have a brief conversation, that is funny, we all laugh, but I can't remember the words. Then my mother (Lucy) begins to sing the song from "Chicago", the one where all the convict women guilty of murder are line up and singing, "He had it comin'". Stomp (they stomp their feet) and then they sing about why they killed their lover.

My mother begins singing this, and I know that she was supposed to be singing about her friends husband, but that she felt wierd about it, so she substitued a baby (?). But it was all very funny and the audience is laughing, and I am laughing also because it is a comedy.

Then the wife of the couple says, you don't have a baby to sing to, and Lucy says something like 'Oh, yeah?' and immediately lays down on one of the dinner tables in a delivery position.

The couple's husband runs over and catches a 'baby' that flies out from beneath her skirts. Of course, it is a prop, and as a prop, they used a small piece of toast with red jelly on it, like Strawberry Jam. He throws the toast onto a nearby plate, but it slides off and onto a dinner table where people are eating, and one of the dinner guests eats it. The whole audience becomes hysterical because it is obvious that this was not part of the 'act'.

I was laughing so hard that I actually woke myself up from it.

It was a very funny dream because it was not supposed to be real but a comdy act, but I think there are some really bad elements under it.

I have absolutely no idea what it means, what it has to do with me, if anything, or whether it is a commentary on the church as a whole. But I was an active and amuse participant of the act, so . . .
Thoughts?