Sitting In A Catholic Church

Archives for 2007
TheLordsdaughter

Sitting In A Catholic Church

Post by TheLordsdaughter »

Shalom!

This was a short dream, and rather strange.
I found myself sitting in a catholic church sanctuary. Either my hubby or daughter was sitting to my left on the pew with me. Our pew was facing the congregation sideways along a wall, and across the room from the entry door, the Sr. Pastor was to my left, facing the congregation.
(IRL I have never been in a catholic church, I have no affiliation)

There wasn't hardly anyone in the congregation, if any that I recall.

The preacher(priest?) and his assistant pastor were both African American. The Sr. P was preaching, what I don't remember, but it wasn't very interesting, the asst. P was interested tho, and said something like, 'preach it', cheering him on. I really wasn't listening. I watched him grab a gavel, and hit the wooden podium, which had some sort of tapestry on it, and when he hit it, it punched through the wood, and I could see the impression underneath of the gavel pushing through the tapestry.

Then a group of people came in all at once, singing a song, don't remember what, and they were all African American, except one white woman. She had a very odd hairstyle, sort of an updo, not a hair out of place, sort of slicked up.
They all sat down in the pews by the assistant P.
I felt within me uncomfortable, and said to either myself or those next to me, I have a very bad vibe about this.
All I can remember of this dream,
any ideas?
Lv.
TLd
eagle
Platinum Member

Post by eagle »

This may be a dream about certain denominations or religious circles who will take a turn to try to break from tradition but more for people pleasing than for the Lord. It may be more about numbers for the church than it is about the love and care of the people. There will be a rising up of the African American community however like anyone or any race I believe, you will have those who are sincere in the faith and those who are more of a "show". The white woman could be those who are following only because of status, again wrong motives.

This may be a call to pray for those whose hearts in need of repentance of their motives on how they are "playing" church.
TheLordsdaughter

Blessings Eagle!

This is something I'll need to pray about. Not sure on this dream yet.
In thinking about the gavel, this is what the dictionary says:

1. a small mallet used by the presiding officer of a meeting, a judge, etc., usually to signal for attention or order.
2. a similar mallet used by an auctioneer to indicate acceptance of the final bid.
3. Masonry. kevel.
–verb (used with object)
4. to chair (a legislative session, convention, meeting, etc.).
5. (of a presiding officer)
a. to request or maintain (order at a meeting) by striking a gavel.
b. to begin or put into effect (a legislative session, motion, etc.) by striking a gavel.
. Tribute or rent in ancient and medieval England.

1805, Amer.Eng., of unknown origin, perhaps connected with Ger. dial. gaffel "brotherhood, friendly society," from M.H.G. gaffel "society, guild," related to O.E. gafol "tribute," giefan "to give." But in some sources gavel also is identified as an actual mason's tool.

This interesting, I saw a show sometime a couple weeks ago or so, it was on secret societies, and the freemasons, they used a gavel in their meetings, although this documentary, I felt was staged.

Anyway, I have the sense that this dream isn't about race per se, or maybe to a certain degree, perhaps, dont know for sure. I think there's something else here.
Thank you for your help!
Lv,
TLd
talitha

Post by talitha »

I keep thinking of religious legalism.
Catholic - religious
gavel - legalism (judges use gavels)
assistant pastor's behavior - fear of man and jockeying for position perhaps
white woman - the word "slicked" really stands out to me......

from the Online Etymology Dictionary:
O.E. -slician (attested in nigslicod "newly made sleek"), from P.Gmc. *slikojanan, from base *slikaz (cf. O.N. slikr "smooth," O.H.G. slihhan, Ger. schleichen "to creep, crawl, sneak," Du. slijk "mud, mire"), from PIE *sleig- "to smooth, glide, be muddy," from base *(s)lei- "slimy" (cf. O.E. lim "birdlime;" L. limus "slime," linere "to anoint;" Skt. linati "sticks, stays"). The adj. is first attested c.1300, "smooth, glossy, sleek" (of skin or hair); sense of "clever in deception" is first recorded 1599.

hmmm.....

just more food for thought, sis
tal
TheLordsdaughter

Blessings Tal,

Thankyou, yes, more to think about. I see what you're saying about religious legalism. The Lord knows my feelings on this, and my strong feelings and views on the catholic church, amongst many other 'denominational' churches.
(anyone who attends, please, no offense intended toward you)
Wonder what He wants me to know, placing me in the catholic church in my dream, knowing I would never attend a religious/legalistic any kind of church.
Interesting........

TLd
christianfireman
Silver Member

Post by christianfireman »

TheLordsdaughter wrote:Blessings Tal,

Thankyou, yes, more to think about. I see what you're saying about religious legalism. The Lord knows my feelings on this, and my strong feelings and views on the catholic church
TLd
Hi L/D!

I am a devout, Jesus loving, Rosary praying, Sacrament receiving Catholic.

But not to worry though, no offense taken. :wink:

I personally know many non-Catholic Christians, and I respect their beliefs. And I also share your thoughts in not believing in a "legalistic " church. But at the same time, a Catholic understands how Jesus requires theological/doctrinal order among His believers.

So Catholics see how only a hierarchal system can fully achieve an absolute uniformity in such matters.

That being said, let's get on to your dream ....

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here (my being a catholic) I will therefore offer a distinctly Catholic flavor :shock: to the possible meaning of your dream:

-Our pew was facing the congregation sideways along a wall, and across the room from the entry door, the Sr. Pastor was to my left, facing the congregation.

You were clearly outside of that parish's worship, as I know of no Catholic church where seating is provided "along a wall".

There wasn't hardly anyone in the congregation, if any that I recall.

Christian churches everywhere are experiencing difficulties in maintaining their flocks. The religion of "worldliness" has effected Christian church attendance all over the world."

The preacher(priest?) and his assistant pastor were both African American. The Sr. P was preaching, what I don't remember, but it wasn't very interesting,

I find this very interesting on a number of counts. Because of the lack of vocations in a few certain Catholic dioceses, priests from other countries are being brought in to assist. Africa is a major point from where many of those priests are coming (as vocations to the priesthood in those countries are almost overflowing).

And by your stating that you are not a Catholic, I'm not exactly sure how to take your feelings that the Priest's homily wasn't interesting.

???

the asst. P was interested tho, and said something like, 'preach it', cheering him on.

AMEN!

I really wasn't listening. I watched him grab a gavel, and hit the wooden podium, which had some sort of tapestry on it, and when he hit it, it punched through the wood, and I could see the impression underneath of the gavel pushing through the tapestry.

That says to me that the Truth is being preached with a holy vigor!

DOUBLE AMEN!

Then a group of people came in all at once, singing a song, don't remember what, and they were all African American, except one white woman. She had a very odd hairstyle, sort of an updo, not a hair out of place, sort of slicked up.

I think that means fallen away Catholics will be returning to the Church.

I'm really liking your dream!

They all sat down in the pews by the assistant P.
I felt within me uncomfortable, and said to either myself or those next to me, I have a very bad vibe about this.

Once again, you not being Catholic ... I'm not exactly sure how to correctly interpret your "bad vibes".

But thanks for sharing your dream with us!

PEACE
yesLord
Gold Member

Post by yesLord »

Thank you for your answer christianfireman. I am in agreement with you.
I am also a Catholic, I am from Buffalo,New York.
It is wonderful to have fellowship with different denominations on this board,to come together to build up His church and to give glory to our Lord.
No offenses are ever meant on this board and for myself I am open to all comments that help me grow in the Lord and am never offended.
Thank you again for your comments in the Catholic perspective,and may Jesus bless you.

Sandy(yesLord)
christianfireman
Silver Member

yesLord wrote:Thank you for your answer christianfireman. I am in agreement with you.
I am also a Catholic, I am from Buffalo,New York.
It is wonderful to have fellowship with different denominations on this board,to come together to build up His church and to give glory to our Lord.
No offenses are ever meant on this board and for myself I am open to all comments that help me grow in the Lord and am never offended.
Thank you again for your comments in the Catholic perspective,and may Jesus bless you.

Sandy(yesLord)
Your welcome Y/L!

Yes, God will speak to whomever He wishes ... whenever He wishes.

So I hold no animosity against any other Christian. Still, the divisions within Christianity saddens me greatly (and it also negatively effects Christianity's ability to witness to non-believers - being so divided).

That being said, I leave the unity of all Christians in God's Good and Loving Hands ...
starlight

Re: Sitting In A Catholic Church

Post by starlight »

Blessings TLD,

Catholics and Protestants......please take no offence.

I wondered if this was really inside the Catholic Church because there is usually only one priest who leads the mass with altar boys/girls to assist.

Perhaps your dream reflects what is currently taking places in some Catholic (and Protestant) churches. The gravel reminds me of someone exercising judgment: and I am reminded that no one else has authority to judge but the Lord Himself. Priests, Pastors, any other church leaders should offer guidance and emphasize Jesus' teachings.....not slam down judgment upon the congregation.

The African American people in the congregation could symbolize people who are still "enslaved" to the old ways of the church. :( The woman without a hair out of place could symbolize someone who is a meticulous church goer: perhaps even doctrinally rigid because of the slicked back hair.

Hope this helps, if not, please disregard.

Love in Christ,
starlight
"May the Lord make His face shine upon thee..."
eagle
Platinum Member

Post by eagle »

I didn't read all the post but usually the gavel is to bring order or establish that whatever the gathering is about has come to an end.
So perhaps something has been arranged, an order established that is not of the Lord, again a tradition of man.

For the sake of peace may I add this? I grew up with some Catholiscism background and so I am not offended by the things said. Whatever the denomination or even Christians as human beings we can come under traditions or even become religious.

So for those who read any post it is not an offense towards any denomination it is just that denominations usually promote traditions. Dreams are symbolic and we must keep that in mind. Even the Pharisees which were Jews were considered Religious and followed the tradtions of men and Jesus went to those who were not allowed in the temple.

So again for any who read dreams regarding denominations and find they are considered a religious system in the interpretation remember it is just the context of the dream. In no way, shape or form I think anyone questions your faith in the Lord or love for the Lord. God Bless and I hope this keeps the peace.

Sorry didn't mean to go on a tangent and not to seem like I was speaking for the multitude but based on a couple of the post it seem as though there was concern that others might take offense and thought that possibly this might cover any future post on the subject. Hope it helps.
Many nations will come and say, "Come and let us go up
to the mountain of the LORD And to the house of the God of Jacob, That He may teach us about His ways And that we
may walk in His paths." Mic 4:2
TheLordsdaughter

Blessings in the Lord!

Thank you everyone for your many replies.
Christianfireman, very interesting. I was along the wall, yes, and indeed not a part of it, I was only an observer. I come from an Evangelical type background. I make very sure at all times, when I hear something I check the Word for truth. Recently I have begun attending a Messianic congregation (I have Jewish ancestry), so I've begun to do alot of researching on the beginning church, which was very Jewish, after the diaspora, the church took a turn. I have been disturbed to say the least, by what I've found out. I will leave it at that on this post, but I will say, the Jewish roots of the faith, have been severed from the Church.

Interesting about the priests coming from Africa. I didn't know this.
As far as his sermon being un-interesting, I should clarify, in that, his sermon didn't captivate my attention, whatever he was preaching on, perhaps he was coming from a perspective that I didn't understand, or was irrelevant to me, and so, like TV commercials, I tuned him out. I didn't get the feeling this was particularly a good dream, for several reasons. The sermon for one, the slamming of the gavel, and then the people coming in giving me a bad vibe.
Yes, I agree with you, there is MUCH division between churches and yes, worldliness, it deeply grieves many of us.

Starlight, I kind of got something similar as you about the gavel. Your interp on the symbolization of enslavement, caught my attention, as well as the woman, hmmm, you may have something here.

Eagle, thank you, hmmm your insight on the gavel too, rings with me.
Indeed helpful insight.

The dream is not to create offences, or division, but to bring attention and correction to something that is not right, same with any correction type dream when the Lord brings something to our attention He wants changed. In light of that, there have been many things that have occurred in the churches of late, that have been exposed. I think there is something in regards to this dream that needs to change, because of the 'bad vibes'.

Thank you everyone, for all your replies,
Much love in Yeshua,
TLd
gloryhis
Platinum Member

Post by gloryhis »

Hi Daughter, (edit) I am sorry for calling you JOY I don't know why I did that, I knew it was your dream lol.. sorry , Jesus bless you sis,

The first part of the dream I feel shows your position in Jesus. You were sitting against a wall( foundation). Also far from the entry door, Meaning you have not entered ,as you stated IRL, you have never been to one. So the side view would make sense to this dream, verses a direct view of a person who is catholic. I feel that only shows your position and nothing to do with whether you are seeing clearly, I feel Jesus gave you the dream and it's clear. :D

I feel the african american men represent african americans. The assitant is one who will assist in some cause or future change in the Catholic way of doing things. I don't think it is for all catholic churches, but for African american catholics. The assistant was cheering him on, this is what a person or group would do "for instance" like voting for something or supporting something with funds or lobbying etc. Or simply moral support.

At this time it seems no one else is there, no member support....or perhaps no one is in support of this change, whatever it is. I feel it is spiritual.

The senior pastor, or the one with some authority, seems to make a type of judgement with the gavel, it breaks through and that in itself is telling, it breaks some mold or way of doing things, in this case in the dream , it was the tapestry. Tapestry represents the design of a thing, the farbric and decorum(sp) of a thing. Generally speaking it's the make up of a thing.

Once that is accomplished, it seems a lot more african americans "come in". along with One white woman who may represent in this dream the small fraction of white catholics or catholic churches who will support this change.

The woman's hairstyle reminds me of formality. It's alos the type of hair we usually wear when going some place formal. so this one white person or small group of white people, may support this initially as a formailty of some type.

I also think that what the pastor was saying was not very interesting to you in the dream because it may not be of much interest to Christians and perhaps Jesus wants us to pay attention to it irl.

You got a bad vibe from the happenings there , so this may be a call to pray..

In Jesus Love,
gloryhis
Last edited by gloryhis on Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus Is Lord!
christianfireman
Silver Member

eagle wrote:For the sake of peace may I add this?
NO YOU MAY NOT! :D

LOL

Having had formal training in my faith, it seems like that a clarification is needed as it regards the use of a couple of terms.

I've experienced this many times before when talking with my non-Catholic Christian friends, so my response will be as short and concise as possible. Thanks!
Whatever the denomination or even Christians as human beings we can come under traditions or even become religious.

So for those who read any post it is not an offense towards any denomination it is just that denominations usually promote traditions.
First thing, being religious can be a holy and wonderful thing. Because being religious simply means that one takes their faith seriously. That is all ...

Regarding the use of the term "tradition(s)", Catholicism has always recognized a formal difference between the "traditions of men" versus that of the "Apostolic Traditions."

1 Corinthians 11:1-2
Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.
I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you.

2 Thess. 3:6
Keep away from any brother who is living in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us.

What Jesus did condemn was those "little t" traditions, as is shown in Mark 7, where the Pharisees violated the Commandments of God with their small "t" traditions:

Mark 7:8-13
You leave the commandment of God, and hold fast the tradition of men.
And he said to them, "You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God, in order to keep your tradition!

Thanks everyone, for allowing me to explain the Catholic position!

PEACE
HOPE

Post by HOPE »

In my opinion dream interps are not a place for arguing for or against certain denominations, practices, "religious vs non religious" etc. Some may be offended as this is there dream and they are merely asking for an interp nothing more nothing less.

That being said I agree with what much of what GloryHis said. I am thinking maybe that the gavel coming down is God's judgement on the catholic church or churches in general. God said he will not come for his bride (being the church) until she is ready. We as a church are NOT ready. We are arguing over one denomination or one way of thinking or being "religious" over not being "religious" and really we should all just get out of the way and let Jesus shine. I was thinking also that the people coming in were people in the body of the catholic church many or darkened to Gods word ie. the Af. Am. and the w. lady with the perfect hair may represent what the church as itself is trying to portray. That they are perfect (like plastic people, was thinking of the stepford wives here for some reason) , but ultimately God is the judge and he is casting judgement on his people and the church.

God's dreams to people and their interps are not meant to offend anyone, give it to the Lord for He is the only one who knows the true answer of the dream and interp.

Blessings loved one,
Hope
christianfireman
Silver Member

HOPE wrote:In my opinion dream interps are not a place for arguing for or against certain denominations, practices, "religious vs non religious" etc. Some may be offended as this is there dream and they are merely asking for an interp nothing more nothing less.
My spirit weeps over your use of the term "arguing."

It is a simple discussion, a sharing of faith - based directly on questions that arose from a dream that someone had which involved a Church for which that person did not have a great understanding of.

So I was trying to help out in that regard, and the polite sharing that resulted was natural and to be expected.

Thank You.
That being said I agree with what much of what GloryHis said. I am thinking maybe that the gavel coming down is God's judgement on the catholic church or churches in general.
The gavel in her dream comes down as a positive result of him agreeing with the pastor's preaching - and not as an action against that preaching.

So I don't see how what you said can be viewed as being a judgment of any kind, on any body.
We are arguing over one denomination or one way of thinking or being "religious" over not being "religious" and really we should all just get out of the way and let Jesus shine.
Jesus is the Truth, and He shines in the light of Truth. That being said, I observed a simple misconception and merely tried to point that out.

Holy Scripture states that "The Truth shall set you free", not "Misconceptions shall set you free."
God's dreams to people and their interps are not meant to offend anyone, give it to the Lord for He is the only one who knows the true answer of the dream and interp.
Then why does this board even exist? To help one another with a possible interpretation to their dreams, that is why.

And that is what I was doing, trying to help a person who had a dream about whose subject matter I well know.

PEACE TO ONE AND ALL