Feelings in dreams.

Archives for 2010
Four Years
Diamond Member

Feelings in dreams.

Post by Four Years »

what place do feelings have in dream interpretation?

does the immediate 'feeling' you experience in a dream when you come across a given situation/symbol reveal more about it than a dream symbol guide?
dance-in-the-son
Diamond Member

Post by dance-in-the-son »

Feelings are part of the interpretation and of course we cannot always follow the symbolism we just need to ask the Holy Spirit to interpret as He kinda creates a dream language in each of us individuals....blessings!
Dance...
You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing.
You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy,
that I might sing praises to you and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever!
Psalm 30:11-12
Four Years
Diamond Member

Post by Four Years »

hello.

assuming a dream is from God in the first place...the immediate 'feeling/idea' one gets should be highly considered: yes or no?
peggyo
Diamond Member

Post by peggyo »

Hi 4 Years!

I believe the emotions you experience in the dream are helpful to understanding your dream in a way that may be beneficial to you.

My emotions about the dream upon awakening I find equivocal. Generally my first emotional sense about the dream I've learned to disregard, unless I believe it is an interpretation from the Holy Spirit, which has happened immediately upon awakening on occasion. Often I have a dream I believe is unimportant or really feeling its meaning is along very different lines than what I finally believe its true message is. So I try to lay those immediate conscious emotions aside as they could lead me in the wrong direction.

Others may have a different experience.

Bless you~
Peggy O.
imavessel
Diamond Member

Post by imavessel »

It very much is an indivudual thing. I believe though He never changes- He talks to us as invidually as He made us. It isn;t a respector of person thing, it is simply a Father talking to each of his children in a way that child will understand best.

In my case- He always makes me aware of the "what I am feeling" in the dream- and sometimes--- the feeling almost seems "strange" by whatever else is going on.

But it does usuallyhelp open my mind to the interpretation.

We actually ARE the best ones to interpret that which God brings to us. Why? Well, just because He brought it to us=== not to our neighbor.

Sometimes because of wherever we are we might contend with it--- or not be able to see. It happens to all of us. & In the beginning probably more often than not.

After a long time of wondering this and seeing that . . . I finally just cried out to God (as I did with tongues) and said more or less, "Lord- you give me thiese things, can you please give me a gift if interpretation of that which I CAN know---?!" & He did.

Now I guess I still never know what everything means He is trying to show me---- but know what I can "get" is more than not.

Be blessed.
Newwine
Platinum Member

Post by Newwine »

I have been meaning to get to this one but had some other things come up. I like this question and will share what I have learned there thus far.

Although dreams from Him can be literal, I find a good deal are symbolic, and yes, they can be both as what we see in the natural can be a reflection of things happening in the spiritual realm.

Dreams are like parables and regarding Jesus speaking in parables the bible says, “in seeing they will not see, in hearing they will not hear, for their hearts have grown cold.” True seeing and true hearing comes from a heart connected to God’s. Just because we may see in the spiritual realm doesn’t mean we are seeing those deeper things of our hearts, others’ hearts and the Heart of God. Sometimes it is an invitation to seek the Lord more deeper on it so that He can connect us to his Heart on matters. And yes, we can have all that in one dream too.

I like to share that when I first started dreaming more frequently, as much as I loved it, at times I would pray to the Lord to speak to speak to me more clearly. And He does at times but I am glad He continued in the dream language as I may have missed some pertinent things like drawing closer to Him for that heart connection if He had spoken more directly. As such, I would seek Him further and more deeper and given more things at deeper levels too. This is good info not only regarding dreams, but in other areas in our lives like when we read his Word and other happenings in our lives.

There is surface reading and then there is that deeper understanding that comes by his Spirit who will share his heart with us at a deeper level. Both can be useful, we just need to know the difference. There are times I view a dream and feel I can see surface information and a deeper message. Sometimes I feel I only have something deeper to share, or sometimes more just surface details. The thing for me, and for others, would be to know the difference. I try not to engage in the knowledge of good and evil but allow the Lord to reveal as He sees fit. I try and pay attention to what people share in their dreams regarding what they are feeling or what they “know” (like revealed to them) WHILE THEY ARE DREAMING because God is speaking to the dreamer and will reveal things in our hearts, maybe others’ hearts too and maybe his Heart while we are dreaming. He is speaking to the dreamer, even as the message may apply to others too. When we wake up our minds can kick in and our questionings / musings and feelings out of the dream may not line up with what He was sharing with us in a dream (when our minds and reasoning or musings are not busy), so to speak, so it helps to know what those things we were feeling and knowing WHILE DREAMING are.

For instance, I may have a dream with a tiger and in the dream I may not know if it represents something evil or good but in the dream I may be concerned or worried about the tiger while dreaming. I don’t look to make rules of these things but overall I feel that this would be a good indication that it may be more about my concerns and worries that I can take to the Lord for more clarity. Now I may know in a dream if it is something good or evil and that to me would be a good indication that the Lord is showing me (revealing/discerning) something good or evil there.

I am going to use your dream “as an example”, the one with your mom being robotic to you in one of your dreams. You appear to feel she is more symbolic here. Whether she represents another, others, a part of you, or a combo, don’t know but will use that example to elaborate.

Let us say, for discussion’s sake, that she represents another. It may indicate that someone is being more robotic in their approach and you are reacting in anger. Now, I didn’t see where her heart is being revealed to you, but her approach which you are reacting in anger towards. In such dreams we need to be careful about assuming where people’s hearts are. Although “your heart” appears to be being revealed in the context of anger, and may be more for you to discover with the Lord in regards as to why you are reacting in anger. Maybe you are looking for a more personal connection which you may want and feel is missing. Maybe you feel others are missing it there, you can answer that best. I don’t know if that is it but using it as an example. Unless the Lord reveals another’s heart to us, we shouldn’t assume that it is off. It may be, but that isn’t what the Lord appears to be looking to show and address, at least not yet. And that is how it can be because even if their hearts “may be” off, if we are not coming from the right heart we may not see them and the situation properly. Maybe the Lord is addressing that with them on their end, but He may not be looking to show us that of yet, if He does at all.

You know that beam and mote in eye example that Jesus spoke of. Well the mote is like a small splinter in comparison to a beam. The beam I feel may represent our heart’s condition which is like a much larger problem than someone being off in their approach or doctrine. Jesus told us to first remove the beam from our eye then we will be able to see more clearly their splinter and help them with it.

I was in a situation not too long ago in another place / ministry where I felt that the wrong they saw in me was not so much about me but something that lay with another and / or others. Not saying I am perfect and didn’t have my wrongs and issues too, but felt with this last incident I saw it more clearly, that at times what we perceive as evil or wrong may be more of a problem with us instead of the other person. Again, not saying I may have had issues there too, God knows as I am still not real certain, but saw that aspect more clearly. I said a joke and seemed to brew up things that I didn’t intend it to be. I think I am funny but not everyone agrees.

To make it simple, I like to keep a track on my heart to see if it is rooted in Jesus-the love of God manifested in the flesh, or self apart from Him.

Matthew 6:22"The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

And not saying all that we feel in a dream, or in the natural is off as if we are in Christ our feelings can be a refection of his life in us, his fruits being manifested in us. The book of James I feel is a wonderful “rubber to road (relating to humanity)” book and James doesn’t mince words. If he were speaking our lingo today I imagine him putting it this way, “Put your money where your mouth is, you see a need, step up to the plate.“ Are we always the ones called to such a task? Probably not but you can get the overall picture.

For instance, not long ago I was having dreams with coming across others and looking to help them. One I just looked to see if they wanted help, another I was conversing with them and saw them distressed and looked to help. Now in each dream while helping things happened as I stepped in to see where I may assist. One his Spirit moved as my gift was activated, another something was revealed to me about the person’s situation that I was looking to help. I know they may have more revealed to them that I don’t have so what I look to do is share the part I have (unless it is sensitive matters and feel more prayer may be called for before doing that) and leave it to them to take to the Lord knowing they may have parts that hasn’t been revealed to me.

So anyway, in these dreams I felt the Lord was revealing to me fruits of his Spirit in looking to help others’ from a right heart. I didn’t assume I knew what were issues and answers but as I came from the right heart, the Lord’s Spirit brought in things through me and / or revealed some things.

And it doesn’t always work out that way. May not be something off with us either. May just be that the connection is not there for whatever reason. We can see how the Lord may connect us but yes, we do need to be careful about making our own deeper connections apart from Him as that can cause problems.

Anyway, again, just because the Lord may show us something amiss with us doesn’t mean that we are the only ones that have issues, whether on the surface or at a deeper level, but we can address and look to obey what He reveals to us so that it doesn’t hinder our journeys in Him and / or hinder Him using us effectively.

Because I covered much I just wanted to summarize that feelings in dreams can show us what is going on with us (and doesn’t necessarily mean we are not connected to the Heart of God). As such these are things we can take to the Lord for more clarity and help with. What we know in a dream may be something He is revealing to us. I find that “what I know” in a dream can be something that I already sensed, and the dream is like a confirmation to me that I was sensing correctly.

And of course, dreams and visions as with everything else, should witness to us at a deeper level from within for there are alot of voices competing for our attention but the Lord lives within the believer and will give witness to his voice within us. I even had one dream where I heard a voice come from the sky above and I questioned in my head its validity. Then that word was like exploding within me and felt that is how the Lord helped me to discern his voice over others, and is biblical too, that his Spirit will witness to us in our spirits regarding his Word.

For your prayerful consideration.

And don’t claim to know it all and have it all right, just some things I feel He has taught me there in my progressive journey in Him.

Love in Him,
Joanne
Enjoy the journey