Types of Angels

Archives for 2012
Counted4Him
Diamond Member

Types of Angels

Post by Counted4Him »

Hi,

I would like to know what is a angel with long wings touching its feet call? What I mean is what type of angel is this, its wings are huge - white and slightly curved in to a point. Where can I find about it in scripture and elsewhere please and thank you. What is their place in heaven and what is their position if anyone has insight.

God Bless you all!
Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit * 1 Corinthians 12:4
Demon_Buster
Diamond Member

Post by Demon_Buster »

Hi Counted4Him, I am no expert but I can tell you what I know.

OK big wings touching its feet and slightly curved .

It sounds like a messenger angel. they need big wings to fly and curved so they have the speed. where as a warring angel like Michael has a sword to do battle .

I hope this helps..

Blessings
Demon_Buster
Diamond Member

Post by Demon_Buster »

Hi C4H, I did some more checking. its a lot of info... please take your time

What does the Bible teach about angels?
See this page in: Dutch (Nederlands), Hungarian (Magyar), Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia), Spanish (Español)

Who or what are angels?
How did angels originate?
How many angels are there?
Do angels have bodies?
What do angels look like?
Do people become angels after death?
How do angels compare to human beings?
Are all angels good?

What is the job description for an angel?
DO PEOPLE BECOME ANGELS AFTER DEATH?
No, angels are not glorified human beings. Matthew 22:30 explains that they do not marry or reproduce like humans, and Hebrews 12:22-23 says that when we get to the heavenly Jerusalem, we will be met by “myriads of angels” and “the spirits of righteous men made perfect”—two separate groups.
Angels are a company or association, not a race descended from a common ancestor (Luke 20:34-36). We are called “sons of men,” but angels are never called “sons of angels.”

Author: Dr. Paul Eymann.

WHO OR WHAT ARE ANGELS?
The word “angel” actually comes from the Greek word aggelos, which means “messenger.” The matching Hebrew word mal'ak has the same meaning.
Sometimes, the Bible uses these words for human beings:
ordinary people who carry messages (Job 1:14; Luke 7:24; 9:52)

prophets (Isaiah 42:19; Malachi 3:1)
priests (Malachi 2:7)
church leaders (Rev 1:20)
Sometimes, it speaks figuratively of things or events as “messengers”…

the pillar of cloud (Exodus 14:19)
pestilence or plagues (2 Samuel 24:16-17)
But it usually describes the whole range of spirits whom God has created, including both good and evil angels, and special categories such as cherubim, seraphim, and the archangel.

Angels are mentioned at least 108 times in the Old Testament and 165 times in the New Testament (Chafer, Systematic Theology, II, 3). Hence, there is ample information available in Scripture to allow us to build a foundation for our knowledge of angelic beings.

HOW DID ANGELS ORIGINATE?
The Scripture speaks about the creation of angels, therefore, it is clear that they have not existed from all eternity (Nehemiah 9:6; Psalm 148:2,5). Colossians 1:16-17 explains:

“For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created by Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.”

The time of their creation is never definitely specified, but it is most probable that it occurred in connection with the creation of the heavens in Genesis 1:1. It may be that God created the angels immediately after He had created the heavens and before He created the earth—for according to Job 38:4-7, “the sons of God shouted for joy” when He laid the foundations of the earth.

HOW MANY ANGELS ARE THERE?
While the Scriptures give no definite figures, we are told that the number of angels is very great (Daniel 7:10; Matthew 26:53; Hebrews 12:22).
It appears that all angels were created at one time. No new angels are being added to the number. Angels are not subject to death or any form of extinction; therefore they do not decrease in number.

It seems reasonable to conclude that there are at least as many spirit beings in existence as there will have been human beings in all their history on earth.

Raphael's interpretation of a winged angel.DO ANGELS HAVE BODIES?
Angels are essentially “ministering spirits,” (Hebrews 1:14) and do not have physical bodies like humans. Jesus declared that “a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have” (Luke 24:37-39).

The Bible does, however, make it clear that angels can only be in one place at a time. They must have some localized presence.

Angels can take on the appearance of men when the occasion demands. How else could some “entertain angels unaware” (Hebrews 13:2)? On the other hand, their appearance is sometimes in dazzling white and blazing glory (Matthew 28:2-4).

WHAT DO ANGELS LOOK LIKE?
Since angels are spirits rather than physical beings, they don't have to be visible at all (Colossians 1:16). Elisha once prayed that his servant would see the armies of angels surrounding the city, and the young man discovered that he had overlooked a lot of invisible beings (2 Kings 6:17)!

Abraham was visited by three heavenly messengers.When angels do appear, they generally appear in the form of men. In Genesis 18, Abraham welcomed three angelic guests who appeared at first to be nothing more than some travellers. In the following chapter, two angels went to Sodom where they were assumed to be simply a pair of human visitors.

With the possible exception of one debatable passage in Zechariah 5:9, angels always appear as males rather than females (Mark 16:5).

Sometimes an angel appears to be a man with unusual features. Daniel saw an angel with arms and legs resembling polished metal and precious stones, and a face like lightning (Daniel 10:5-6). The angel that rolled back the stone from Christ's tomb was radiating dazzling light (Matthew 28:3; Luke 24:4). The book of Revelation describes some highly unusual beings who may be a variety of angel in Revelation 4:6-8.

Angels in the Bible never appear this way.Angels in the Bible never appear as cute, chubby infants! They are always full-grown adults. When people in the Bible saw an angel, their typical response was to fall on their faces in fear and awe, not to reach out and tickle an adorable baby.

Some Bible passages picture angels with wings (Isaiah 6:2,6). Other verses talk about angels flying, and we assume that the wings would be useful for that flight (Daniel 9:21). However, I suspect that angels can move around without having to depend on wings. Most references to angels in the Bible say nothing about wings, and in passages like Genesis 18-19, it is certain that no wings were visible.

Author: Dr. John Bechtle.

HOW DO ANGELS COMPARE TO HUMAN BEINGS?
They are stronger than man, but not omnipotent (Psalm 103:20; 2 Peter 2:11).
They are greater than man in knowledge, but not omniscient (2 Samuel 14:20; Matthew 24:36).
They are more noble than man, but not omnipresent (Daniel 9:21-23, 10:10-14).

ARE ALL ANGELS GOOD?
Sorry! You can't trust every angel.

The Bible classifies some angels as “elect” (1 Timothy 5:21) or “holy” (Matthew 25:31; Mark 8:38). All angels were originally holy, enjoying the presence of God (Matthew 18:10) and the environment of heaven (Mark 13:32).

Other angels oppose God under the leadership of Satan (Matthew 25:41; 2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6; Ephesians 6:12). We often call these “demons.”

There is actually a great unseen conflict raging that goes beyond anything we can imagine. It is not, however, a fight between two equal and eternal forces. God who created all beings is still in charge, and once He has used wicked angels to accomplish His purposes, He will bring them to a final defeat.

WHAT IS THE JOB DESCRIPTION FOR AN ANGEL?
We don't know whether every angel carries out the same tasks, or whether some of them specialize in certain areas. The Bible does speak about classes of angelic beings like cherubim (Ezekiel 1) and seraphim (Isaiah 6). We also know the names of two notable angels: Michael (Daniel 10:13; Jude 9) and Gabriel (Daniel 9:21; Luke 1:19,26).

The unnamed angels who appear most often in Scripture carry out a variety of tasks—all designed to serve God…

Worship and praise - This is the main activity portrayed in heaven (Isaiah 6:1-3; Revelation 4-5).
Revealing - They serve as messengers to communicate God's will to men. They helped reveal the law to Moses (Acts 7:52-53), and served as the carriers of much of the material in Daniel, and Revelation.
Guiding - Angels gave instructions to Joseph about the birth of Jesus (Matthew 1-2), to the women at the tomb, to Philip (Acts 8:26), and to Cornelius (Acts 10:1-8).
Providing - God has used angels to provide physical needs such as food for Hagar (Genesis 21:17-20), Elijah (1 Kings 19:6), and Christ after His temptation (Matthew 4:11).
Protecting - Keeping God's people out of physical danger, as in the cases of Daniel and the lions, and his three friends in the fiery furnace (Daniel 3 and 6).
Delivering - Getting God's people out of danger once they're in it. Angels released the apostles from prison in Acts 5, and repeated the process for Peter in Acts 12.
Strengthening and encouraging - Angels strengthened Jesus after His temptation (Matt 4:11), encouraged the apostles to keep preaching after releasing them from prison (Acts 5:19-20), and told Paul that everyone on his ship would survive the impending shipwreck (Acts 27:23-25).
Answering prayer - God often uses angels as His means of answering the prayers of His people (Daniel 9:20-24; 10:10-12; Acts 12:1-17).
Caring for believers at the moment of death - In the story of Lazarus and the rich man, we read that angels carried the spirit of Lazarus to “Abraham's bosom” when he died (Luke 16:22).
Counted4Him
Diamond Member

Post by Counted4Him »

Demon_Buster,

Thank you very much for the wealth of information. I agree with much of your shared information on angels. I believe they do manifest and take form of man. Messenger is most likely what settles with my spirit. This is the first of seeing a winged angel and there were like three more but I saw them enjoying themselves. Garments almost see-through. This particular one was just beautiful as I was allowed a glimpse. Its hair was shoulder length golden light brown. Its garment (white) meet its feet a fylowy type. I got a sense it had authority (a higher rank). It was above square shape homes within a square very colorful suspended above in the air. It had a bow in its hand swinging it as if playing but I stared at it almost transparent. Its appearance was that of a bow and arrow curved slightly more and one end but no arrow.

Question: since they do manifest can they appear in form of women? This one was a night vision. Others in my pass (two) appeared as women one male very holy with fiery eyes like flames and his robe filled the whole room. One was guiding me from a building from a fire. The other experience was tangible appearance when a huge burst of light flashed temporally blinding me for a few seconds before me, she came from somewhere when I was able to see (in a hospital) prior her appearance I felt danger on this side of the hospital this end was empty and dark so weired, then she said they would stay with me they was going the same way, waited for me spoke only when in my mind I was saying where did you come from, they went into the same room before me but like a minute came out and said we are going to walk out together and waited in a dressing area bcs I was physically in chronic pain from injury. We took the elevator down alone then asked which is the way out, I walked to the door and she got on a transport bus (hospital) her name was Melody and I turned and had to go look at her in this small bus, and she was not in it! It was not even two minutes. I felt she was protecting me, it entails more but I wonder if they are created beings, when we are in heaven, then we will be as angels then wouldn't it include women too because we are male and females on earth? I know theres no gender but could the Lord utilize in this form to make us comfortable? Has anyone had this type of experience? Sorry just curious my encounters all came spontaneously less then five in my lifetime. Thanks for any responses.

Shalom!
Diamond Member

Post by Newbie »

Hello C4Him, there is a book called "Divine Revelations of Angels" by Mary K. Baxter. I am not endorsing this book and suggest that you use your on discernement. I have read it and it was delightful. It gives the description of some of the things that you have viewed and encountered based off of what you had written. I have had an encounter with a female angel name Esperanza in a grocery store parking lot, several years ago. She came to tell to tell me that God loved me and I could call on Him anytime. I was going through a nasty custody battle at that time and my world was upside down. She wore this white robelike dress and I got a sense that she could read my mind because whatever I was thinking at that moment, she reassured me she did not have an ulterior motive. What was wierd is that she came as a Jehovah Witness; nevertheless, she was an angel. She disappeared in a blink of an eye and I was hit heavily with the Holy Spirit soon afterwards; despite me not knowing it at that time.
Counted4Him
Diamond Member

Post by Counted4Him »

Newbie,

Very interesting experience you had. I read that book last year but I don't remember it too much (poor memory sometimes) then I read a lot of Christian materials. I just started reading one by Perry Stone on Angels out of curiosity. When you say she came as a Jehovah Witness were you reffering to a witness for Jehovah?

I asked her name because I wanted to know more of her and found it very odd she would ask "which is the way out and still asking questions in my mind". Like you didn't come off the elevator because I was in front of it very scared feeling someone was staring at me on that dark hospital floor and I never heard the ding of the elevator door. However, like a twinkling of an eye like you said with that burst of light as the sun those few seconds, peace came over me and she was right in front of me as my vision came quickly. I am positive they walk on this earth. As I remember now another incident (dream) I saw hosts in the sky and they had trumpets and horns about to blow them. I saw some decending in spirit form (clothing different as we would wear but nun like) when their feet touched the ground they manifested into flesh some walk as if they had things to do this one held a child's hand the child resembled those Norman Rockwell kids. This child had piercing eyes he glance without moving his head we made eye contact but they keep going. They had missions things to do no time to waste.

Then I saw others in different boroughs decending and I awoke. The angels appeared both like males and females but I could not tell them apart well just that it was many of them. I guess only the Lord knows but as God is my witness I experience these things. The most recent was the one (first for me) with wings. Oh I once pass and they DO carry you up in their arms but I was send back down here bcs it was not my time. Thank you for your time, its hard to share with non believers so I keep a lot to myself.

God bless!
Diamond Member

Post by Newbie »

Hello Leila, you may want to talk to BJ Collins because he has encounterd a few. Just like you I had that experience of being lifted unfortunately we were both invisible and it was not my time as well. I was floating up in the sky but did not even get a chance to see Paradise. Oh well.
Truth Seeker
Diamond Member

Post by Truth Seeker »

This is going to be a lot to take in but it can give you something to go on with the guidence of the Holy Spirit. This is going have to be something you study to gain good understanding of and it takes a lot of time.

Some sort of hierarchy of angelic beings is indicated in the Bible, although it doesn't give specific details. Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Lord of Hosts, the Chief Commander of All Angelic Beings.

Colossians 1:16 says,For by Him all things were created things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him.

In Ephesians 6:12, we note that there are at least 4 rankings of fallen angels; it says For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood but against principalities, against powers, against rulers of darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

In 1 Peter 3: 22, we find another different ranking of the angelic hosts: Jesus Christ has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand with angels, authorities and powers in submission to Him.

The hierarchy of angels may be ranked from highest to lowest into nine (9) orders or choirs.

SERAPHIM are the highest order of the Hierarchy of Angels. These angelic beings spend their time worshiping and praising God. The prophet Isaiah vividly describes them in his vision of God: He quotes: In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple. Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one cried to another and said: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of His glory!(Isaiah 6:1-3).

CHERUBIM are the second highest order. The Bible depicts Cherubim as powerful and majestic angelic creatures who surround God's throne (see Ezekiel l :5 - l 4; 28: l 2). They are also depicted on the Ark of the Covenant as its Guardians. God sent them to guard Eden after the expulsion of Adam and Eve: After He drove the man out, He placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life. (Genesis :24).

THRONES are the third ranking order of angels.They were also known as Wheels and the Many-eyed Ones. These Angels were often believed to be deployed like charioteers around the Throne of God. They were described in Ezekiel 1:13-19 as having four wings and four faces. They sparkled like the color of barnished brass. They had the hands of a man under their wings. Their wings were joined one to the other and they did not turn when they traveled -they all went straight forward. They had four faces. They had the face of a man as well as three other faces on their helmets - that of a lion, an ox, and an eagle. They moved on wheels in the middle of wheels, blue-green in color. Above their heads the likeness of the firmament, which was the color of crystal,and under this were their wings, two on each side of their bodies. The noise of their wings was like the noise of great waters.

RULERS are the fourth ranking order of angels. This Order of Guardian Angels decide the success or failure of nations. Dominations have been described as wearing long albs, or gowns reaching to their feet, hitched with a golden belt and adorned with a green sole. They carry golden staffs in the right hand and the Seal of God in the left. At other times, they are said to hold an orb or a specter.

VIRTUES are the fifth ranking Order of Angels. They have been called "The Brilliant or Shining Ones.They were called the Angels of miracles, encouragement, and blessings. They were particularly involved with people struggling with their faith. Virtues have been said to be the chief bestowers of grace and valor. The two Angels at the Ascension of Jesus were traditionally believed to be from the Order of Virtues. Virtues were usually represented in a group.

POWERS are the sixth ranking Order of Angels. Powers have been credited as being the first Order of Angels created by God. They are responsible for maintaining the border between Heaven and Earth. Acting as a sort of elite guard, they constantly watch for demonic attack. They are the major line of defense and battle during heavenly warfare. It is their duty to protect the world from the infiltration of demons. They protect our souls from these evil beings and act as ministers of God who avenge evil in the world. It was also believed that at death, the Powers guide our transition to Heaven.

PRINCIPALITIES OR PRINCES are the seventh ranking Order of Angels. The Principalities were considered to be the guardians over the nations and the leaders of the world. It is believed thar they are given more freedom to act than the lesser angels below them. They are responsible for carrying out divine acts concerning their area of jurisdiction. It was from this Order that the Angel who aided David in his task of slaying Goliath was thought to have come. Finally, they are given to the task of managing the duties of the angels. Principalities have been described as being dressed in soldier's uniforms with golden girdles.

ARCHANGELS are eighth ranking order of angels. Archangel Michael is believed to be the highest ranking warring angel in God's heavenly host. He will play a special role in the end time: For the Lord Himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. (1 Thessalonians 4:16-1 7). As powerful as Michael is, he does keep to his proper domain (Jude 1:6) and does not over-exert his authority over his adversary, Lucifer. But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him. He said, 'The Lord rebuke you!(Jude l: 9).Ultimately, however, Scripture says that he will prevail over Satan (see Revelation 12: 79).

Archangel Gabriel is a highest ranking messenger who brought special messages to God's people. In the Scripture we find him bringing messages to: Daniel to reveal the future events to him (Daniel 8:16; 9:21).He went to Zacharias regarding the birth of John the Baptist, (Luke 1 :19) and to Mary to announce the birth of Jesus (Luke l :30).

GUARDIAN ANGELS are the last order of angels.They are believed to be ministering angels sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation (Hebrews 1:14). Within the orders of angels, only archangels and angels (the lowest categories in the hierarchy) are traditionally said to interact with man and woman in the course of daily life. In some cases, the angel serves only as a messenger, but in others, the angel lingers in visible form, taking responsibility for the well-being of individuals in trouble, guarding them from harm, offering them sustenance, or leading them out of danger. Nowadays they are still busy ministering to us.

As one of the other members said, Bj would be a good source of knowledge. Hope he's able to add to the subject.
Truth Seeker
Counted4Him
Diamond Member

Post by Counted4Him »

Truth Seeker,

God is so good! You provided me with more then I expected. Your time is valuable and appreciated in providing all of this on angels. I normally don't go out seeking them but in the few times I encounter them I wish to scripturely learn more so that I can tell the difference if needed for discernment purposes.

It amazes me why we are allowed to get glimpses but I really appreciate their protection and guidance which very rare these take place. Gods grace is tremendous. How can I question BJ? Should I post the question in another post? I was not aware the ranks were that extensive. I am in awe, the descriptions of them is causing me to distinguish experiences. Just trying to see which ones have wings. The one I got a glimpse of had a pair white full arched in its back long to the robe of its feet to a point so graceful, and I knew this one was of higher rank over an area but that one has others not that clear to me, I think it was heaven because of the spoken (words I heard) "glimpse of heaven".

I have only once saw one in color form, the one who waved to follow them from the building on fire. This one stood about few inches off the floor (day vision). The gown was floresant calm green/glowing with the appearance of long straight black hair and soft fair skin no expression but understood their thoughts to come out my room. The others I only saw garments and their belts or sashes, the gowns are different on all one had broquets (sp?) With their belt high wasted. The rest white gowns. I will re-read what you shared. Thanks a trillion! Wonder if others and BJ will have time to share their thoughts just for balance to see the commonality and to learn more. I know these experiences are for all believers there's nothing special about me, just a servant, grandmom,mom and lover of God like many.

God bless!!