Induction

Archives for 2012
piano
Diamond Member

Induction

Post by piano »

Heard this word about 4 minutes ago.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is long-suffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
Charys
Diamond Member

Post by Charys »

There are several meanings to this word in a scientific sense but most of them have at the root the idea of an act that causes something to start or move or arise or take action or engage. An induction service in some churches is the official start of a pastor's ministry in that church. An induction procedure on a pregnant woman at term usually results in starting labour contractions.

Cool!

A couple of weeks ago I heard "Rubicon."

I had to look it up. Basically when the leaders of armies headed toward Rome crossed the Rubicon they passed the point of no return. Usually they left them on the other side when they intended to negotiate. When they took their armies across the river it meant they intended to take down rulers and could expect opposition. I asked a friend with an interest in history about this and he said "crossing the Rubicon" means "no going back" or "It's on!"

There's a point in an induction of labour when the contractions start in earnest and some of us who were induced can remember in the intensity of labour wanting to change our minds about having a baby and quit and go home, but by that point there was no going back. (and it was totally worth it)

Keep listening.

It's on!
...that I might know Him...
piano
Diamond Member

Post by piano »

There are several meanings to this word in a scientific sense but most of them have at the root the idea of an act that causes something to start or move or arise or take action or engage. An induction service in some churches is the official start of a pastor's ministry in that church. An induction procedure on a pregnant woman at term usually results in starting labour contractions.
Thanks for this definition Charys.
When I first looked at the word and started to discover its different meanings, I noticed that there were a lot of options.

Im not feeling its personal to me, but will wait and see.

Good to see ya, btw.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is long-suffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
piano
Diamond Member

Post by piano »

Hi Charys,

What I found most interesting when I looked into the word induction, was the term:

Inductive reasoning.

That is in contrast to deductive reasoning, and I found reading about this term super amusing---

I guess He knows the things that make our heart full of glee, no matter how odd to anyone else?

Peace,

Piano
Charys
Diamond Member

Post by Charys »

Funny. My husband just brought that up while we were out driving today. When it comes to apologetics deductive reasoning is less likely to lead to God than inductive reasoning. (Note the clever use of "less likely" and "may" :wink: )
...that I might know Him...
piano
Diamond Member

Post by piano »

I think it is more than funny!

My initial thoughts about induction as I read did have to do with persuasion.

I have some things to discuss about this, but will take time.

Peace,

Piano

P.S. Im having a difficult time getting back to this, so maybe some prayer if lead?